Vista over 7?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vista over 7?

Post  Gothboy77 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:15 am

I always heard vista was bad. I recently switched to Vista Business SP2. My preformance has increase doubled.

Chillin'

View user profile http://Brickmania.findtalk.biz

Back to top Go down

Re: Vista over 7?

Post  dafrandle on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:01 am

dafrandle
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mega Bear on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:19 am

The consensus has never been that Vista is terrible, it just has major flaws. Its startup time is centuries and it trips over itself a lot. 7 has every good thing Vista introduced and more, without the sluggishness.

PC Gamer
PC Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothboy77 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:58 am

Mega Bear wrote:The consensus has never been that Vista is terrible, it just has major flaws. Its startup time is centuries and it trips over itself a lot. 7 has every good thing Vista introduced and more, without the sluggishness.

I noticed the start up takes a few (literally about 7-10) seconds longer when restarting. It shut down faster than windows 7 in my experience, but the start up time is noticeably a bit slower. One thing 7 has over Vista, is default AeroSnap. I got an aeroSnap for Vista, it works ok, but sometimes windows don't snap like they should.

In all honesty, Windows 7 took things away from Vista, it didn't add anything, except a more user-friendly UI for people who couldn't really see what they were doing on Vista, and AeroSnap. Vista comes with Movie Maker by default and DreamScene which allows you to set videos as your desktop background. That's right,  a fully animated desktop background that eats up next to nothing for memory (also depends on video size) While I do agree Vista was awful at first, Microsoft really proved they could fix their mistakes (AHEM Windows 8 - 10 anyone?!?! Why not 8.2?! Its literally the same damn operating system, except they brought back the start menu) Vista SP1 and 2 came out and proved that Microsoft could make a capable and good operating system for its users.

Before I installed Vista, I did a little research and found an article here: http://variableghz.com/2012/01/why-windows-vista-sp1-is-better-than-windows-7/
It actually explains how Vista was at first a failure and rose aobve it standards, setting the new standard for all operating systems. As a matter of fact, Windows 7, 8, and 10 are all based from the original Vista Kernal.

While I do miss some things about Windows 7, I find Vista to run faster with my system. It eats up less resources than 7, and no more explorer refreshing bug! I am sure this is because Vista being an earlier OS, requires lower specs to run. I would imagine throwing XP on my system with it's above average specs, it would run at lightning speeds prolly even faster than Vista  Shocked

Off-Topic sorta, but has anyone seen the reviews for Windows 10? Seriously, it might as well be 8.2. Razz

Chillin'

Back to top Go down

Post  Meow.ItsMaddie on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:34 am

I'm honestly considering switching operating systems. Whenever I leave my laptop sit, it automatically shuts down after a certain amount of time, but I even changed the settings. I changed it to where 'it does nothing' when the lid is shut. Also, whenever I start my laptop up, it either does 1 of 3 things:
1. goes to the login screen and just sits there for awhile, not allowing me to type or do anything
2. Black screen
3. Resuming windows bullshit
I don't know if this an issue with Windows 7 itself or just my laptop overall but I'm tired of it.
I refuse to put Windows 8 back on it because I do not like. At all.
Not because everyone else thinks it sucks but because for one I don't like how there is no start menu. It's completely different to what I'm use to and for two because there are some features that Windows 8 is lacking, although this is with just about any operating system.
On topic though I do enjoy Windows Vista. I like the animated background and the Aerosnap feature as well.
I don't consider switching to it, though I like Windows 7 I just wish I could figure out what is going on with my laptop ;-;
Meow.ItsMaddie
Boo Thang
Boo Thang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mega Bear on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:57 am

Meow.ItsMaddie wrote:I'm honestly considering switching operating systems. Whenever I leave my laptop sit, it automatically shuts down after a certain amount of time, but I even changed the settings. I changed it to where 'it does nothing' when the lid is shut. Also, whenever I start my laptop up, it either does 1 of 3 things:
1. goes to the login screen and just sits there for awhile, not allowing me to type or  do anything
2. Black screen
3. Resuming windows bullshit
I don't know if this  an issue with Windows 7 itself or just my laptop overall but I'm tired of it.
I refuse to put Windows 8 back on it because I do not like. At all.
Not because everyone else thinks it sucks but because for one I don't like how there is no start menu. It's completely different to what I'm use to and for two because there are some features that Windows 8 is lacking, although this is with just about any operating system.
On topic though I do enjoy Windows Vista. I like the animated background and the Aerosnap feature as well.
I don't consider switching to it, though I like Windows 7 I just wish I could figure out what is going on with my laptop ;-;

Sounds too severe to be the OS in my opinion, I think it's a hardware problem. Gothboy is the expert here though so be sure to get feedback from him!

PC Gamer
PC Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothboy77 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am

Meow I think the issue you have is with the HIBERNATE; not the sleep mode options. Sleep and HIBERNATION are different. Sleep is when power is still going to RAM, and the screen display shuts off to save energy, where HIBERNATION is where the contents of RAM are stored into a file on the hard drive, and then the system powered off. This is why windows "Resumes" upon power up. This is a buggy thing with Vista, and 7. Windows 8 manages this better by using EEPROM memory instead of RAM, which is possibly why your system has the option enabled by default (being and original windows 8.1 OS)

Here is what you can try:

My advice would to be to set them both to never Smile
Hope this helps!

Chillin'

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top