Things that piss you off when resetting an OS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Things that piss you off when resetting an OS

Post  Gothboy77 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:06 am

Working on computers my whole life, one thing was always a fun pain in the ass. Resetting an OS. Now, not all computers are this way, but in many cases this can be a stressful event. Here I have a list of just WHY reinstalling an OS (windows in this case) is a such a pain in the ass.

1) Finding and installing the "correct" drivers. Notice I say "correct" because sometimes I have found "wrong drivers" to be the only ones to actually work for a specific system. Whether they be outdated or just a driver for a slightly different model of card. This sometimes takes a while especially when you can't figure out what drivers you actually need. This is of course, something you should always expect to do unless resetting from a specific factory image (already has default drivers, though might not be up to date)

2) Telling windows updates to fuck off. Sometimes windows can be annoying particularly if your arnt running a genuine copy of windows. I recommend using removeWAT before you even install any drivers. There are many FAKE RemoveWAT applications out there, but Brick Mania only provides clean legit software. Fuck them fake fooz. Back to what I was saying though, Windows updates aren't needed in a lot of cases.

3) Installing Steam: Defiantly a bitch. I really hate how they make you activate your account through your email when you install it after a fresh OS reset. Real fucking lovely. Oh, and have fun re-downloading and installing all those games from your library.

4) Installing paint.net. I love Paint.net, don't get me wrong: But man is it a pain in the ass to get all your plugins back, and on top of that you need the .net framework 4.0, so there goes another 5-10 minutes of your time.

5) Installing Chrome or Torch because fuck internet explorer. Not such a pain in the ass, but still. After doing this you might as well make an APPS folder for all your shortcuts and make a "My Stuff Folder" and sort other things that way. (ex, games, music, pics) And if your me, you will customize every single icon because that's just how it should be

Have fun with that OS re-install, my friends troll

Chillin'

View user profile http://Brickmania.findtalk.biz

Back to top Go down

Re: Things that piss you off when resetting an OS

Post  dafrandle on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:58 am

1 windows did this for me, and it worked fine

2 "Brick Mania only provides clean legit software" except for all them pirated games

3 turn steam guard off, also external hard drive installation ftw

4 gimp 2.8

5 are you that lazy?
dafrandle
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothboy77 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 am

dafrandle wrote:1 windows did this for me, and it worked fine

2 "Brick Mania only provides clean legit software" except for all them pirated games

3 turn steam guard off, also external hard drive installation ftw

4 gimp 2.8

5 are you that lazy?

"Clean Legit Software" = No viruses, no fake download ads (many sites do this, i find it annoying)
I can't control how mediafire works, however.

I find paint.net more suited for what I need and just easier to use than gimp. Plus, there are a ton of cool plugins.

Also, I aint lazy or else I wouldnt take the time to do all this. I simply find reinstalling an OS from scratch a pain. Yes there is always the external hard drive option and backing your data with thumbdrives and whatnot, but when all you have is a windows disk and a tower with blank/corrupted hard drive, you gotta do things the long way.

Chillin'

View user profile http://Brickmania.findtalk.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mega Bear on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:29 pm

So I had no plans to ever start fresh with a new comp/factory reset, but now... just reading this makes me dread the day this computer dies or I have to upgrade to a new OS. Goddamn what a pain.

PC Gamer
PC Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakester on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:52 am

At least you didn't have to spend 10 hours trying to sift through all of the bullshit 'features' that Windows 8 has and get used to it.

The login screen literally freezes. Yeah, the place where you enter two phrases to get into your computer, it freezes.

Also the default music player for Windows 8 is insufferable, please never use it.

TLDR; never buy windows 8 ever
Jakester
Moderate Gamer
Moderate Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Meow.ItsMaddie on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Jakester wrote:

Windows 8 is the worst thing ever. I got rid of it 3 weeks within having it. I think it is meant more for tablets and such.
However, it did run Blockland a lot smoother but I think I'll stick with good ol' Windows 7 .
I guess Windows 10 is gonna be coming out soon also.
One last thing:
Why did they decide to skip WIndows 9? o.O
Meow.ItsMaddie
Boo Thang
Boo Thang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mega Bear on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:45 am

Meow.ItsMaddie wrote:
Jakester wrote:

Windows 8 is the worst thing ever. I got rid of it 3 weeks within having it. I think it is meant more for tablets and such.
However, it did run Blockland a lot smoother but I think I'll stick with good ol' Windows 7 .
I guess Windows 10 is gonna be coming out soon also.
One last thing:
Why did they decide to skip WIndows 9? o.O

It's kind of funny. A Windows rep said that, once the public sees Windows 10, we'll "understand why they made the choice to totally skip 9." Reminds me of that Family Guy joke where Peter mentions World War 5, and Lois asks what happened to WWIII and WWIV. Peter tells her WWV is so great it skipped over three and four.

PC Gamer
PC Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top